Blocking Spam

vienna1981 12:41 31 Jan 03

Hi, Spam email is really annoying me at the moment, I get around 90 emails a day and about 70% of them are spam, I have set my junk mail filter high on my hotmail account so thats not the problem, the problem is my account on outlook express, are there any good free utilities i can download to stop spam going to my inbox? I would prefer one that was able to send all potential spam emails to the deleted folder or stop me from receiving them, but if not then can someone suggest a good utility that they find is quite good? Thanks in advance for any help.

JoeC 13:00 31 Jan 03

from click here which will allow you to view emails without downloading ?

Old PC man 13:13 31 Jan 03

This sort of thing seems to be increasing day by day. I don't know how they get the addresses, but I even get the same message from several different sources and to all sorts of names that are not mine but have my @ address on them.

I have mailwasher and bounce those that I don't wish to receive, but find that the next day another load of rubbish has been dumped into my ISP's inbox.

What a sorry state the world is in when one can be automatically bombarded with rubbish. The electronic equivalent of being propositioned by a prostitute in your own home.

vienna1981 13:25 31 Jan 03

I know how you feel, it also really ticks you off when you are in a rush and you end up waiting for loads of emails to download only to find that about 2 of them are important, also when you click unsubscribe you still get emails from the same place, so I've learned my lesson there, blocking the address also doesn't help as these spammers slightly alter not only the start of their address but the ending so even if you block ones "ending with" a certain name it doesn't help. I'll download mailwasher and see how it goes.

vienna1981 13:27 31 Jan 03

got your name the wrong way round!

hoverman 13:39 31 Jan 03

Despite using Mailwasher myself, I still get spam e-mail from sources the program is supposed to have bounced them back to. I have said this before in response to other postings, the biggest benefit to me as a user of Mailwasher is the ability to view e-mail headers without downloading the whole message. This means I can delete, if not bounce, unsolicited messages at my server end, which gives added protection against any nasties that might be attached. On two occasions in recent times Mailwasher has alerted me to a possible virus in an attachment. I would strongly recommend this great utility to anyone.

Belatucadrus 14:54 31 Jan 03

click here for a page full of options, the best rated ones are Email Express, EmC, Mailwasher and Spam Weasel.

watchful 15:42 31 Jan 03

I think it's best not to click on the 'unsubscribe' thing as that confirms your address is valid.
Don't know what I'm doing right but I don't get any at all. I have an up-to-date scanner and just have about half a dozen words in the Mail message rules that have to be blocked if the subject lines contain any of them.

Richard Madeley 15:56 31 Jan 03

I am currently having the same problem. In Outlook Express try clicking Tools\Message Rules\Mail and you can then specify instant deletion of mail that contains certain words ('unsubscribe' etc) and a lot of spam seem to have your e-mail address in the subject line, so you could enter that as a 'rule'.

Some spam e-mails are all graphics though and it doesn't stop them.

I'm still looking for a method of sending them straight all to the deleted items folder. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Cuddles 20:55 31 Jan 03

Have a look at SpamPal at click here, it installs easily and works in conjunction with message rules so it can be set to put spam wherever you want it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…