Blocking Popup Ad's when logged onto Freeserve

NadineCoyleRocks 11:07 30 Apr 03

I was wondering if anyone could help me block popup ads that I continually get when logged on the net via Freeserve.

I have tried Anti PopUp downloads in the past and there less than ideal.

I hear that it is possible to block a port through internet explorer? Is this true? Im running Win XP Pro with Internet Explorer 6

Thanks in advance

Do you mean MSN Messenger popups or extra windows that appear when you visit certain web-sites.

If you have a firewall installed and you are getting MSN Messenger popups, then blocking ports 135-139 should stop them.

NadineCoyleRocks 11:21 30 Apr 03

No these a not internet explorer pop up windows, there more like messages (grey box with message inside and ok being the only response you can choose)

NadineCoyleRocks 11:22 30 Apr 03

Oh and i do not have a firewall either

MAJ 11:25 30 Apr 03

But they are "Messenger Service" ads by the sound of things. click here for instructions on how to stop them, NadineCoyleRocks.

Rhuddlan 11:25 30 Apr 03

I used to have these as well on a regular basics, but since purchasing Norton Internet Secruity 2003, which contains full versions of it's antivurus and personal firewall software, I have had nothing, the ad blocking feature in this software is fantastic, firewalls are probably the best way to keep ad's away.
Hope this helps.

NadineCoyleRocks 11:30 30 Apr 03

thanks, i know firewalls are ideal i will look into it but this link looks good Maj, cheers.

didnt realise they were called messenger ads...I was for some reason relating this to MSN Messenger.

If you go to click here you can download the FREE version of their firewall. This can be setup quite easily and rules added to block the ports that are being used to display the Messenger Popup Windows.

NadineCoyleRocks 11:35 30 Apr 03

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…