Blocking Kazaa

VoG™ 23:19 08 Apr 03

I have a teenage daughter who I think is now getting desperate to install this software on our 'puter. We operate Windows XP with a single, administrator rights account, which we access "on demand" with no passwords. This has worked well for a long time now and I do not wish to change it.

Is there a way that I can prevent installation of P2P programs like KaZaa?

Sketch 23:24 08 Apr 03

Er, just a thought.

But if it is a single computer. And Kazaa is infact a network-type application. Would it not be possible to block 'network-tivity' on all counts? Seeing as you use one machine anyway. Would this cover it?

I don't know. But in concept it might do.

SKETCH

Sketch 23:27 08 Apr 03

Also, rather sneakily.

If you had a firewall. Even a free one. Could you not put Kazaa on the 'Block' list if it did miraculously appear one day?

That way it would be deemed useless. You could get rid of it. And use Ad-Aware to tie up any lose ends.

Again, just a thought.

SKETCH

Terrahawk 23:33 08 Apr 03

could you configure a child web filter to block sites such as kazaa im not sure myself maybe worth a look

Sketch 23:37 08 Apr 03

...That might not work all that well. Blocking the Kazaa site is a good diversionary tactic. But it can be downloaded from countless other public and 'pirate' sources....

SKETCH

powerless 23:40 08 Apr 03

Well there's click here

Don't use it myself, so it may not be what you want.

Terrahawk 23:42 08 Apr 03

Sketch

yes that is a valid point as you say their are several ways of getting hold of it

powerless 23:42 08 Apr 03

You use Mcafee firewall don't you?

Can you block ports?

If so block the kazaa ports etc.

Port 1214 TCP

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:46 08 Apr 03

No, as anyone has access to admin rights you cannot prevent her installing the programme unless you have a monitored mail account on a network or want to spend £100 on terminatorX, a totally excellent proggie which really does work....click here. You can deny internet acces to her in User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Network Connections and you'll be able to deny net access to any user account. Of course it goes without saying that you'll need to set up a user acount for her on the XP machine with limited, not admin privileges. This can be done in XP pro and I assume in the home version as well (Start>Run> and type gpedit.msc).

You may like to check out Secure browser ($44 ish) from click here

However as it is your computer inform her that if she installs it she will be banned from using the computer. Forceful parental authority tends to work wonders. A part-time job to enable the purchase of CDs may help, assuming that she is legally able and willing to work.

G

powerless 23:49 08 Apr 03

gpedit.msc is not avaialable in XP Home.

VoG™ 23:59 08 Apr 03

Many thanks to all - I had not thought of the obvious firewall.

Especially GANDALF <|:-)> for taking the time to find those sites.

I am the System Administrator and as such control what is "allowed" on our family 'puter. If they want to venture to the "dark side" of the iunternet, that is their business. What I don't want is a load of viruses and trojans infesting my machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…