Blocking downloads

nifferwilko 20:30 23 Mar 04

I'm attempting to find a program to block a user on the computer from downloading things (such as p2p software & adware - so I suppose exe files) Other users need to be able to still download though (I suppose this could be side-stepped by having the 'override' password protected)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jennifer

nifferwilko 10:45 24 Mar 04

I forgot to mention, I'm running Windows 98 (it's an old computer)

johnnyrocker 10:49 24 Mar 04

try pc world for some security ideas like net nanny etc

johnny.

anon1 12:06 24 Mar 04

Security (desktop that is) is sadly lacking in windows 98. It would be very easy to set up with xp. You could try the content policies within internet explorer but that would be easy to bypass with a little knowledge. It seems odd that you want to exclude just one user obviously you have your reasons but it would probably be easier to exclude ALL users from these actions and then it would have to go through you. Even that will prove difficult with windows 98. You should consider upgarding the OS. Bear in mind also that The floppy drive and cdrom can be used to load exe files etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…