Blocked from using the internet.

Audeal 00:22 20 May 04

Hi all. My sister is unable to access the internet. When she tries to open her IE Browser she get a window appear with the following message in it:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.Please contact your system administrator---

She is using XP pro. Internet Explorer 6, and her ISP is Freeserve. I have talked her through updating Ad-Aware and SpyBot and running them both and also her Virus Checker which is Norton Antivirus 2002 and somethings where found with Ad-Aware but was not the cause of her problem.

Can anyone please give us a clue to what might be causing this problem. My sister is a little upset about it and I want to help her sort it out. Our thanks in anticipation.

Audeal

powerless 00:30 20 May 04

Start, Run, Type:

gpedit.msc

Click OK.

Probably somewhere in there.

Night Ryder 00:58 20 May 04

You will have to log on to the system as an administrator and check you sisters user account details. Check that here account is set to administer privilages. This is the only thing I can think of that could cause this kind of problem. If here account is set to anything less she will only have limited access to the PC.

Eastender 01:10 20 May 04

I had something similar to this, started for no reason that i could find out, since I am the only user and the administrator it didn't make much sense. Never did find out what caused it but a system restore cured it.

Audeal 12:02 20 May 04

Eastender: I think maybe System Restore might be the answer. I will not be in touch with my sister until this evening and will talk her through that option.

Night Ryder: My sister is the only user on her machine. But your suggestion does make sense, unfortunatly I do not know how to sign on as Administator to check things out. Could you advise me on this one please.

mezzanine 15:28 20 May 04

IF SHE'S THE ONLY USER SHE'LL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR.

Life's-Good 15:32 20 May 04

Stop shouting lol! She might have made a seperate account, but when she installed xp it would have asked for a password for administrator and the user name will be administrator also.

Old Shep 15:34 20 May 04

Microsoft advice click here

TomJerry 15:46 20 May 04

?

Audeal 16:21 20 May 04

mezzanine: She is the only user, That is why I can't understand what is going on.

Life's-Good: There is no seperate account, I know this as I installed the OS for her.

Old Shep: I don't think that info will help in this case as there are no GPO's applied.

TomJerry: She uses Zone Alarm and I will tell her to check her settings this evening, although I do not think the Firewall will have this effect if it is set to block access to the internet. I think it would simply ask her if she wants outlook Express to access the net.

Thanks to all who have tried to help. I will post back later this evening when I have more to tell.

Audeal 23:50 20 May 04

We did a System Restore going back nearly a month but it is still there. She has decided to do a compleat re install of the OS, so I will be staying with her for the weekend to do it for her. She does need a lot of updates on her system so I will update everything that I can and get her system back to normal working.

Many thanks to every one who has tried to help us. I will close this thread now. Audeal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…