Blocked startup items message-how can i stop it?

buel 09:49 21 Nov 09

Hi, i recently stopped some startup items from starting up on my friend's (vista) laptop and now every time i restart the laptop i get an icon in the bottom right hand corner saying 'Blocked startup programs' and it shows what programs it stopped, how can i either disable this please or maybe just stop the appropriate programs from starting up permanently?

Technotiger 09:52 21 Nov 09

When you block any Start-up items, you are then starting the PC in 'Selective Mode' (I think that is the correct termination for it), and after blocking any start-up items you are normally given the option to tick a box, to prevent the reminder appearing again.

Technotiger 09:54 21 Nov 09

Go to Start>Run and type in 'msconfig' without the commas, then carefully read the details that appear.

buel 12:10 21 Nov 09

Thank you, the program that it is showing is Malwarebytes, i have now used Mscnfig to stop it from starting on start up! I notice the very helpful Fruit bat's advice is to use msconfig to disable EVERYTHING in start up apart from the firewall, antivirus and antispyware. I have 2 questions:
1, what does the firewall 'look' like in msconfig as i dont see anything that resembles 'firewall'?
2, Im afraid that that if i untick such items as 'Intel (R) user interface', 'Alps pointing device', ' HD audio control panel' that something will go terribly wrong and the world will end (or something similar) Please can anyone verify that the it is ok to untick the above (and everything apart from Firewall, antispyware and antivirus)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…