Block spam

talyho 14:09 01 Oct 08

Could anyone please tell me is there a way to block spam entering my computer, I use BT AS MY SERVER and it puts all spam into spam folder, there are so many about 80 per week most are refering to sexual nature, what worries me is my name and somtimes email address is included can these be blocked

LAP 16:04 01 Oct 08

Same here. The spam only remains for a month and is auto deleted. Just checked 103 items of spam. Spam filter is doing its job. I ignore it. The odd item that gets through to my OutLook Express I block them.

Halmer 16:37 01 Oct 08

but obviously made an error somewhere down the line as my main e-mail address is now inundated with this rubbish. It's not particularly nice whe your young child happens to see some of the obscene words that these clowns send out.

I use Thunderbird and have set up filters to treat as spam: -

1. Anything that is not directly addressed to me (I get a lot of stuff that I am blind copied in on and the main addressee is someone else).

2. Anything with 'rude words' in the subject matter or sender which gets dumped in a spam folder which picks up most of the other stuff. I just check this folder once a week to make sure that nothing gets deleted that shouldn't.

It's not perfect but less of an intrusion than it used to be. I also understand that Pipex will be upping it's game to filter spam soon so this may also help me.

The only other alternative I suppose is to ditch my e-mail address and set up a new one but I am loathe to do this.

rawprawn 16:54 01 Oct 08

Change your email address, and only tell the people you know or want to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced