blinkx - takes on Google / new search engine

flying grouse 19:33 18 Aug 04

vnunet have on their downloads a new search engine for IE which by all accounts is a lot different from others! if you want to give the beta a trial go to click here

bremner 19:41 18 Aug 04

See page 24 on this months PCA for their view on Blinkx.

" The results Blinkx serves up now won't have anybody forsaking Google"

Perhaps something for the future ?

Al94 20:05 18 Aug 04

Tried it - absolutely useless at present. They themselves admit to only covering 10% of the web. A search on the name of my hometown on Google produced more than 133,000 results, on Blinkx - none!!

flying grouse 20:09 18 Aug 04

got to use it to improve it! how do you think google got where they are..............

different features on it compared to google.

chugby 20:16 18 Aug 04

Blinkx, also tried and very slow at moment, also think it's only XP compatible.

see also SpikeyChris thread on icerocket click here

bremner 20:39 18 Aug 04

Their problem may be that people will not use it because they will not find what they are looking for - and of course they will struggle to find advertisers to finance it if people do not use it.

Catch 22

flying grouse 23:52 18 Aug 04

I think Google has gone far too commercial most of the searches that I have done always seems to drag up the same results, same websites " the so called popular sites " unless you go to pages further on? ......................

# with the blinkx format the search details are also kept, with info on each result appearing in a seperate pop out box, when you go across with cursor........quite usefull if you want to go back and check other results of search later on.

Hmmm,beginning to feel like I'm pushing the virtues of this product to much!........oh well!

Forum Editor 00:16 19 Aug 04

and like all infants it's learning how to deal with the world. The same thing was true of Google when it started, and look at it now.

I've been trying blinkx for a week or so, and I agree that it leaves much to be desired. That's the purpose of beta software however, and the developers need the input from users if they are to refine the process. I hope they succeed, their concept is innovative, and if they can make this fly it will certainly get my vote. I do great deal of online research, and any tool that improves the experience is going to be a winner with me.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:17 19 Aug 04
  TrustNoone 10:06 16 Nov 04

click here

Anyone tried this yet? I cannot use this at work because only have w2k OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…