Blind Copies in e-mails - Security ?

Blott 11:56 05 Oct 12
Answered

I have been asked to take on the role of communications operator for a Community Interest Company (CIC). Membership with e-mail addresses at the moment about 200, but will expand rapidly (and very soon). Problem is confidentialty when sending e-mails as we are bound to a privacy statement that, from our database, we will not divulge any personal information of members to anyone. At the moment this statement will encompass not divulging the e-mail address of any member to any other member.

My question :- As I understand Microsoft Outlook - I can send an e-mail to myself with the membership list added as "Blind Copy" recipients. However, can anyone advise me how secure this is.

Can recipients just find a way into some sort of "properties" menu and read off the e-mail addresses of the other "blind" recipients ?

Any advice would be welcome. Or is there any software that could help. I'm not speaking of Blowfish level of security, just a reasonable level of security for a Community Group e-mail.

Regards to all. Blott

wiz-king 08:39 07 Oct 12
Answer

Bcc will work for what you want to do. You may have to split your address book into a series of folders as some ISP's wont accept more that 30 or 40 recipients per email - they think its spam.

Forum Editor 18:10 07 Oct 12

By far the best way to do this is to use an Outlook mail-merge. That way, each recipient will get a personal email,and nobody sees anyone else's details.

This is how you do it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

UK's best mobile network 2016: best 3G, best 4G, best mobile networks revealed

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google will stop accepting new Flash ads on June 30

How to use an Android Wear smartwatch with an iPhone: The benefits and drawbacks of mixing Android…