blaster worm and norton anti virus

Raquelmanny 22:43 12 Nov 03

I think I my father has been infected with the blaster worm. He has norton anti virus installed. Does anyone know if this will find the worm? The only thing is he cannot get online to update his anti virus software or to download the patch or any removal tools for the worm. Any suggestions please!! Thanks

Daedrus 22:48 12 Nov 03

Check the device manager under the processes and look for the blast.exe process and end it. After that you should be able to get online and download the patches you need. Don't you just love Windows?

VoG II 22:48 12 Nov 03

First Start, Run and type

shutdown -a

and click OK. This will give him more time.

Next, get the MS Patch. Without it he'll be reinfected every time he connects: click here

Then run either Stinger click here or the Norton removal tool click here

Finally, tell your father off for not keeping Norton up to date.

Giggle n' Bits 22:48 12 Nov 03

you can download the fixblast Removal tool to a flopp Disk and insert this on his machine.

Run the Tool.

Giggle n' Bits 22:50 12 Nov 03

make sure the Firewall protection is enabled, Right click on the ISP connection and its on the end tab, just place a tick in the box to enable it.

Raquelmanny 22:54 12 Nov 03

well I'll tell him all the advise and I would tell him off but he's only had the computer 5 days and it's brand new. So I think he's just an unlucky so and so. Thanks again guys!! Hope he can sort it.

VoG II 22:57 12 Nov 03

I suspect that although it's a new 'puter the software won't be bang up to date.

Once he is sorted, he needs to update Norton, plus go to Windows Update site to download the critical patches.

Raquelmanny 23:00 12 Nov 03

No offence taken I would be telling him off anyway, but I have to let him off he's my dad. Let's hope he can manage to take all your advice and sort it.Thanks again.

Raquelmanny 21:18 15 Nov 03

downloaded the ms patch and installed the stinger which removed the worm. All went very easily and now he has a worm free computer to enjoy. Thanks again guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…