blaster worm

john-232317 11:06 14 Sep 03

Hi guys, just been to my mates, guess what, his pc has got the dreaded blaster worm.

Searched and got jesters links to patch and stinger on floppies.

Looks like the P4 XP pc was sold to him with no av, cant find it in add or remove, not familiar with XP, is that where it should be like W98 ?

But the main question is can i download AVG direct to a cd for him cos he is on dialup, or will he be able to stay on line to download it without getting infected again ?

Thanks john

Jester2K II 11:09 14 Sep 03

Once patched and the virus removed he'll be ok to download. XP doesn't come with AV software - thats down the the vendor to provide.

Jester2K II 11:10 14 Sep 03

XP doesn't come with AV software - thats down to the vendor to provide. In fact Windows 3.11 was the last version to come with Anti Virus.

Belatucadrus 11:14 14 Sep 03

If it's patched it's blaster proof so staying online shouldn't be a problem. As for AV and add/remove XP and 98 work the same way. My new XP had a partition called backup, inside was a folder helpfully entitled tools it contained Nero and other useful software, could be worth checking to see if your mates is similar.

Jester2K II 11:15 14 Sep 03

Oh and might want to pop the XP firewall on or install a third party freebie instead click here

john-232317 11:20 14 Sep 03

Thanks for the help guys feel a bit better now... dont want to completely blitz a 1200 euro pc..;-)

Extra brownie point for jester for all the help he has given many people on this subject.

regards john

SheffieldSpy 11:22 14 Sep 03

You mean Microsoft left a gap in the market for other software vendors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…