Blank taskbar/quick launch & no Start button in XP

splinternet 10:58 01 Aug 04

Hzave read previous threads on lost taskbar etc.. but my problem looks different. Problem suddenly started yesterday morning. Switch on pc and instead of the usual XP welcome, which lists the various user accounts (you select one, then enter p/w) a small Windows log-in window pops up and I have to manually enter the username, then p/w. Desktop comes up, but all is not well. The taskbar and quick launch area (inc. Start button) is greyed out. It hasn't disappeared. The buttons at bottom right of screen (timeclock, etc..) are there ok. Desktop icons look ok. If I select something, e.g. IE, I can get onto the internet but the taskbar icons at the top are not all there. Same if I go into Windows Explorer. Also, ctrl-alt-del does nothing. I have to manually switch pc off to close down (no Start button).

Indigo 1 11:12 01 Aug 04

Try using Task Manager to close down instead of just turning off, CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up Task Manager then select the Shut Down tab.

Still looking for possible cause of your problem.

SEASHANTY 11:13 01 Aug 04

Try right clicking on the taskbar position at the bottom of your screen. If the options window appears
click on properties and then see if taskbar is set up properly.

splinternet 11:52 01 Aug 04

Indigo 1, ctrl-alt-del isn't working, nothing happens when I press the keys.

Seashanty, I can right-click in the taskbar area: Properties...Task bar....Task bar appearance, have got ticked 'Keep taskbar on top of other windows' and 'Show Quick launch area'.

A previous thread had advised a system restore: %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe Will this clobber all my data?

SEASHANTY 11:59 01 Aug 04

Don't know if this would work or not but from Taskar and Start properties try switching from XP mode to classic mode. See if this restores your missing bits. You can then try switching it back again if it
does. Not exactly sure on a system restore - you could lose some data from the date of your last system restore fix.

SEASHANTY 12:05 01 Aug 04

There is a Taskbar repair tool available from kellys korner click here

splinternet 16:52 01 Aug 04

Was unable to install the Taskbar repair as "system not configured properly". Also unable to run previous applications such as Nero and WinZip for the same reason. I have now restored the system to the last restore point (Thursday evening) and all now seems well. Interstingly, later Thursday evening, I did a Windows update and that could be what caused the problems - the next time the pc was booted up.

SEASHANTY 20:28 01 Aug 04

Presume that was KB867801 - the cumulative security update to I.E.6 (SP1). which I installed yesterday.
Wouldn't be the first time MS updates caused problems. My PC lost contact with the ISP after install and reboot. But left it for a while and tried again later and was okay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…