A friend of mine has brought me his computer the specifications are:

ASROCK K8Upgrade-VM800 motherboard
Sempron 2800 (1.6Ghz)
Radeon 9200 Pro AGP Graphics Card
WD 80GB Hard disk
NTC Combo DVDR
DVD Rom.
Gateway Operating System WinXP Home, v.1.1

He originally complained of various problems, no internet, USB ports not working and the computer "shutting down" unexpectedly.

Well now all problems bar one are sorted. Whenever Windows is asked to do a task, eg Make a Restore Point, it either does this very slowly, or the screen goes blank and the computer seems to hang. When using the on/off switch, rather than reset, Windows can be heard closing down.

Other programs, such as Word, seem to work fine. It is only Window programs that seem to cause the problem. I'm mystified. Any suggestions as to why this happening?

Storic

Storik 12:00 24 Feb 06

At present the computer has 1GB of DDR memory - but the problem occurs with only one inserted @ 512MB, it doesn't matter which one.

Storic

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 24 Feb 06

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

or Conflicting drivers nsure you have the latest drivers for the graphics card modem etc.

Storik 16:50 24 Feb 06

Thanks I did try the "press R to start repair" - but will now try it your way.

Incidentally, I did remove ALL programs from Windows that had been added recently, but that didn't work.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, will let you know how I get on. Angel first class wings are on their way to you. :)

Storic

zarobian 17:05 24 Feb 06

Are you using DDR2 Memory sticks. If it is I think you need to install these in pair. Consult the motherboard documentation. Try what Fruit Bat /\0/\ has suggested first.

Z

Storik 21:08 24 Feb 06

I've been looking for drivers for the graphics card since re-installing Windows as per Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion. Although the computer seems to work without these drivers, they show up as not working in "Device Manager". Apparently the owner of the computer does not have the graphics drivers.

Whilst hunting (Radeon 9200 Pro doesn't seem to exist), I came across this message in a forum:

"Ever since I switched to XP,card has not worked. Keeps shutting down windows."

This sounds familiar. Methinks I'll be suggesting replacing the graphics card. What do you think?

Storic

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 24 Feb 06

You need the catalyst 6.2 drivers click here

Storik 23:23 24 Feb 06

I tried to download these earlier with no success, but will try again tomorrow.

The thing is, if they had been on the machine in the first place, when Windows re-installed over the top of what was already there, they should have automatically been installed too. Everything else that was on the machine is there except the flipping graphics card drivers. I think whoever built the machine must have installed the Windows drivers from the Windows CD. No wonder it played up.

Anyway thanks for your time, again, I'm too tired to put it on tonight, will try again tomorrow. :)

Storic

Storik 22:19 04 Mar 06

I finally decided, because as I cured one problem, another appeared, to reinstall everything.

A problem occured when installing Windows XP as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested, because it then asked for the identity number for XP - and yes you've guessed, although a genuine Windows disk, the number had been lost. Thus my idea of installing everything from scratch went out of the window - and believe me, the computer very nearly followed it!

We got a new version of Windows XP (professional version)and then found that the flipping graphics card became unstable. (Biting fingernails and tearing hair out at this stage!)

Finally, with a new O/S, new graphics card and another stick of memory it was all systems go! The machine has been back with its owner for a week now and it seems to be running without problems.

That's three problem computers up and running (as I will do if anyone mentions another one!)and now all tools are back in sleep mode.

Thanks to Fruit Bat /\0/\ and zarobian for your help, it was very much appreciated. :-)

Storic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…