blank screen then PC needs rebootng when left idle

haven't a clue 16:40 08 Mar 05

Hi, if a leave the PC for a while the screen sometimes goes blank and all attempts to 'wake it up' don't work. I am then forced to reboot the thing.

I do have a screen saver which kicks in first and if we catch it in time can be interrupted and we can get back to where we were ok, however if I leave it until the screen is blank then no amount of clicking, Alt-tabbing etc seems to make a blind bit of difference.

Running windows 98

Any advice welcome as it's a pain, especially if we have a number of things open. cheers folks

FelixTCat 17:08 08 Mar 05

First, I would suggest that you disable the screensaver. Modern monitors do not need screensavers anyway.

Secondly, go into Control Panel to Power Options (I think that is what it is called in Win 98 - I use XP). Thee are options there to turn off the monitor and the hard disks after certain periods of time. Set these to never. These options are sometimes incompatible with some motherboards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…