blank screen on startup

mco 16:49 09 Nov 09

Hello there. Please could you advise? My neighour has an HP Pavillion DV 2000 notebook and the last few days when he has switched it on , all the lights come on but he just gets a blank screen. Silly question but - does this mean the screen has gone and he needs to take it to get it fixed or is there a way we can find out more precisely what the problem is?

woodchip 16:51 09 Nov 09

I have a HP Laptop tell him to try the Laptop Just on Mains with the battery removed

Diemmess 16:51 09 Nov 09

Do you truly mean a blank screen?
No logo no message or plain text however brief?

woodchip 16:53 09 Nov 09

PS if you can see faint text, the backlight will have gone in the screen. This can be replaced at the menders

Diemmess 18:18 09 Nov 09

I don't know whether the DV200 has a reboot button, but for what it is worth, a friend of a friend of a friend etc. had a very similar problem with a desktop.

He was told to switch off first then press and hold the reboot button for about 30 seconds.

Whatever motivated that strange suggestion worked.
On the next switch-on the PC booted normally!

rambus 19:07 09 Nov 09

this is a more common problem than you would imagine. try googleing and you will see. the very same thing happened last week to a friend of mine, but after reading about this on a few forums via google he fixed it. what he had to do was very simple.first switch off laptop and turn off mains power supply, then remove battery and finaly remove ram modules and reseat them. replace battery and power up. i can only think it must be a similar problem that you sometimes get with a mobile phone locking up. after reading about it on a few forums the general feeling was that it is caused by letting the battery runout.
he has not had the problem since and laptop is fine.

mco 21:46 09 Nov 09

thanks for your suggestions - I will pass them on and let you know

mco 12:42 10 Nov 09

rambus - your suggestion seemed to have fixed it -thanks!

Diemmess 15:32 10 Nov 09

rambus appear to have got it just right, but although my post was hearsay and about a PC, the symptoms were the same and the method seems to be very similar and worth trying if a standard PC is in trouble.

I assume it works because both methods involve clearing all caches and the RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac