Blank screen on start up.

Tufty 18:11 01 Apr 03

In the last four days I no longer see any data on my monitor when I first switch on my computer running Windows 98 SE. The computer is obviously running. I type in the BIOS password blind and wait. Eventually, the screen is illuminated with the wallpaper. If I restart, then the initial data is displayed. It's a fault I can live with, but I'd prefer the monitor and computer to return to functioning as they did before when I first switch on.

hgrock 18:17 01 Apr 03

have you got anything like a VCR or tv or anything like that connected to your pc. if so disconnect before you boot up

Tufty 01:06 02 Apr 03

hgrock,

Thanks, I've nothing like a VCR or TV atached and I attached nothing new before the problem arose.

Djohn 01:28 02 Apr 03

You could try the following. Once into widows, go to start/run and type in the window sfc click on ok, or hit the enter key and this will check your sys. files and offer to fix any that may be corrupt. J.

Tufty 09:16 04 Apr 03

Thanks Djohn. I found a corrupt file "setupx.dll" and restored a valid version but it hasn't corrected the fault.

Tufty 18:32 24 Aug 03

Problem was a faulty AGP video card. Installing a new one solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…