Blank screen in safe mode

griffo 14:09 29 Oct 05

When booting (XP Pro), the desktop appears with no task bar or icons. Right clicking on the desktop doesn't work and booting in safe mode gets a blank screen! If I try for System Restore when opening Safe Mode it says SR can't protect the PC and tells me to run SR after rebooting, which, of course, I can't do!

Any suggestions please?

Terry Brown 14:18 29 Oct 05

It looks as if the system has been corrupted.Try re-installing XP in the same directory.

VoG II 14:19 29 Oct 05

Repair click here

griffo 15:07 29 Oct 05

Windows Setup isn't offering me the repair option. It is saying that a windows folder already exists and everything will be overwritten?

griffo 15:11 29 Oct 05

If I allow a normal boot and get no icons etc. I can access Task Manager - can I do anything worthwhile from here?

griffo 15:37 29 Oct 05

This is really wierd ... if I get into task manager and use create task and browse, I can see explorer and have just managed to run Spybot. Does this mean everything is still there but it's just the desktop that's not working right? If so, how do I fix the desktop as right clicking it doesn't work?

VoG II 15:40 29 Oct 05

Try running the System File Checker click here

Djohn 15:58 29 Oct 05

If using safe mode, you need the second option. "Safe mode with networking" or you will get a blank screen on most, but not all occasions.
Look in "Task manager" to see if the file.

explorer.exc

is there, if not, choose new task and type it in the window, click OK and your Icons should re-appear.

Djohn 16:02 29 Oct 05

Addition to above post. If explorer.exe is there, then delete it, click the tab for new task and type it in again

explorer.exe

Its worked for a few in the past when their Icons have been removed by having Ccleaner incorectly set up from the advanced controls.

griffo 16:40 29 Oct 05

running sfc and it asked for the XP CD as files are needed for the DLL Cache - trouble is it keeps asking for the CD and I have to keep pressing 'Retry'. Taking ages but seems to be progressing. Back soon.

griffo 17:17 29 Oct 05

have run sfc and rebooted - no difference. I'm in Task Manager, can you please tell me where to go to look for explorer.exe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…