Blank Screen as PC starts

jdb 17:06 05 Dec 04

Whilst playing with the Win Speedup prog on the Jan 2005 CD I pressed the optimize button to "improve" the "cache" on my daughter's PC (WIn ME, P3 500 Mhz with 640 RAM). From then on she had problems using her SIMs game as, on starting, it said a problem had been caused with Kernel32.DLL. Not being able to correct the problem I then tried a System Restore to a few days earlier but now have made matters worse. The PC when booting up comes up with a "AVG Core is missing - reinstall AVG 6" message, it carries on booting up but near the end of the process just after another box showing "AVG Language file missing" the screen goes blank. It actually sounds as if the boot process continues to the end but there is nothing on screen. I've tried to boot in safe mode to undo the System Restore but it won't accept it and boots normally with the same resulting blank screen! Any ideas please in words of one syllable for this rather PC illiterate would be very welcome.
Many thanks

Diemmess 17:39 05 Dec 04

Risking the obvious - What happens if you start in safe mode?

Gongoozler 17:48 05 Dec 04

As your main problem now appears to be with AVG, try uninstalling AVG and see if the computer is OK then.

jdb 21:03 05 Dec 04

When I choose "safe mode" from the list (F8) the screen changes to one with "Windows" with "safe mode" in blue at the bottom of the screen. I then press enter and the ordinary start up screen starts and goes through the same loop as in my first message.

I agree AVG could be the problem but until I can get the PC to boot up I cannot uninstall AVG.

Thanks

Gongoozler 09:32 06 Dec 04

I've never tried, but is it possible to uninstall or install software in Safe Mode?

jdb 17:17 06 Dec 04

As I say - my problem is compounded by the fact I cannot get the PC started in Safe Mode!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 06 Dec 04

blank screen black?

If so leave for 10 mins, yes 10 mins, before switching off or resetting.

You may find will eventually will boot then you can reinstall AVG.

jdb 22:31 08 Dec 04

Fruit Bat you are a genius! Got round to trying your suggestion out this evening and lo and behold it worked! How on earth did you know that? And what was the problem?
Many thanks to you and the others for taking the trouble to help.

Diemmess 10:02 09 Dec 04

Was that knowledge acquired by accident? ....... Did you mutter some ancient curse and leave things for a cuppa coffee? Or are you simply the most patient person ever?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:15 09 Dec 04

Had a system crash, windows\system\config\system corrupt reinstalled with recovery consul then have to reinstall sp2.

Has happened several times hence the backup copy of system file, however instalation of sp2 didn't go well last time and system froze, rebooted got blank screen retried several times the same.

Finally got fed up and muttered some ancient and modern curses and left things for a of tea? :0) came back to find at log on screen.

Diemmess 10:59 09 Dec 04

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…