Blank screen on bootup

NJF27 16:54 20 Jan 08

Maybe someone can help here. I have a really irritating problem when I switch on the PC. Occassionally the screen remains blank and I have to re-boot; usually require several goes and unplugging the mains to eventually get the computer to bootup. The 2 observations I have made are:
1) the PC appears to boot up fine - but the screen goes blank after initial start
2) issue appears to occur if I have disconected from the internet during previous usage.

Any ideas on how to resolve would be much appreciated.

NJF27

Widow's Son 17:04 20 Jan 08

Its because your resolution is set too high for your monitor to cope with, although this would not explain why internet being disconnected would cause it.

Solution would be to boot to safe mode (f8 key) Right click on the desktop and click Properties, and then on the Settings tab.

Now click and drag the Screen Resolution slider to the far left ... you want the smallest settings that your screen will support. Typically that'll be 640x480, or 800x600.

Also change the Color Quality dropdown to 256 colors, or whatever is lowest. (You probably don't need to go as low as 16 colors, if that's presented as an option.)

Now, click on the Advanced button, and then the Monitor tab of the resulting dialog box. Change the Screen refresh rate to 60 Hertz.

After that experiment to find what the highest setting your pc can cope with

Pamy 17:16 20 Jan 08

Nead to know a lot more about your computer specs.

Is this something new, or have you always had this problem?

When did this start to happen?

what OS ?

Pamy 17:16 20 Jan 08

Nead to know a lot more about your computer specs.

Is this something new, or have you always had this problem?

When did this start to happen?

what OS ?

NJF27 17:39 20 Jan 08

The computer is Fujitsu Siemens; Intel Pentium 4 processor; run on MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 with SP2.

The problem only started 2 or 3 months ago out of the blue. I often disconnect the ethernet connection to transfer to the laptop, and there certainly appears to be a link with change in connection and the problem occurring ???

Does this give you any clues?

eedcam 17:46 20 Jan 08

May not be the change in connection but could well be the connection itself a loose usb connection can give probs on start up.perhaps any conection can

Widow's Son 17:48 20 Jan 08

IF so that could certainly cause your problem when you pull and haul at your pc to disconnect the Ethernet cable

Pamy 17:49 20 Jan 08

Sorry NJF27, it dosn't help me but, it may others. I can only suggest that you stay connected to the PC until problem is solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…