Blank Screen

Louise0524 11:46 25 Aug 06

When I firt start the computer the screen goes blank after a few seconds I then have to start-up 3 or 4 times before it acts normally
The computer is 5 years old and has a seperate flat screen purchased at the same time

what are the likely causes and is it worth spending money on bearing in mind the cost of a new system (I dont play games or watch tv on it)

FelixTCat 12:15 25 Aug 06

Louise,

After 5 years of warming up and cooling down, it's possible that some of the cards and chips have become a bit loose.

Switch off the pc, open the case and press all the cards down into their slots GENTLY.

Blow off any dust (there will probably be LOTS).

Next, press down GENTLY on the tops of any chips on the motherboard.

Also, check that the cable connecting the monitor to the pc is tight at both ends.

Regards,

Felix

Chris147 20:35 25 Aug 06

Yegad!

Make sure you touch the PC case BEFORE you unplug it (you WERE going to unplug it, I hope) and make sure you have one (bare) arm resting on the case whilst you're pushing the chips and cards back into place.

Static WILL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER!

I've also come across this problem before, it was down to the PC being completely unplugged between uses and a lazy power supply. As soon as the power supply gathered speed, the PC booted every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…