Blank monitor screen until started again

FLT 13:48 13 Nov 05

When I power up my PC and switch the monitor on - all is fine in terms of lights etc. but the monitor screen is totally black (but green power light on as usual). Only when I turn the monitor off then on again do I get a picture.

I haven't enabled power-saving/energy modes and can't for the life of me work out what's wrong.

Any ideas?

Graham ® 14:18 13 Nov 05

CRT or TFT screen?

FLT 18:33 13 Nov 05

CRT - A Mitsubishi plus 91.

(No problem with previous monitor and same computer)

Graham ® 19:32 13 Nov 05

Only suggestion I have is whilst it is 'totally black' press 'prt scr'. When you then have a picture, open Paint (or similar) and Edit/Paste. If a picture of the screen is produced, then at least you know the graphics card is OK.

Then you will have to check all cables and connections. It could be a failing power switch.

wee eddie 19:59 13 Nov 05

What do you mean.

Everything turned "Off"

or what?

FLT 13:35 15 Nov 05

By power up, I mean with everything switched off, I start the PC...than I switch on the monitor....everything starts up fine, but the screen is totally black (with a green power light on).

To get a picture, I have to switch the monitor back off, then on again. This happens every time, and works every time i.e. no intermittency.

DieSse 14:38 15 Nov 05

"I start the PC...than I switch on the monitor"

Try switching on the monitor then starting the PC.

ACOLYTE 15:19 15 Nov 05

Or having the monitor come on at the same time as the pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…