BLANK MONITOR.

Bonzy 12:05 14 Apr 03

An IBM x86 PC running Win95 recently failed to power up. I had the power supply fixed, then it powered up. However, nothing appeared on the monitor. I replaced this monior with one that I know works fine, but.....same story. I could not power up using the power switch which plugs directly onto the motherboard; the PC switched on only when power was connected to the back of it. The power switch is therefore now ineffective. After power-up had been restored, the LEDs on the keyboard flashed, then the fdd LED flashed shortly after. Next the hdd LED came on briefly, with some hdd activity sounds too. Immediately thenafter, 2 beeps were heard from the system speaker, but the monitor remained blank. I removed the power plug and reconnected it, but the PC's response was the same. It still cannot go any further than the 2 beeps and a blank screen. Folks, how do I handle this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Hamish-261069 12:12 14 Apr 03

The two beeps tell you something...but I don't know what they mean...someone will know.

You probably knew that already but y'never know!

Sir Radfordin™ 12:15 14 Apr 03

At a guess it'll either be the graphics card (two beeps) or the memory. Try opening up hte case and re-seating the graphics card and try again.

If that doesn't work and you've checked all the other components it may be worth finding a spare card to try.

Bonzy 14:28 14 Apr 03

The PC doesn't have a separate graphics card. Graphics is probably on board. There's only one card which is the sound card in an ISA slot.

meatlaff2 18:57 14 Apr 03

Hi Bonzy
Sir is probably right, either mem or graphics. Try re seating ur mem sticks first then if u can, Borrow a working graphics card and try that.

Bonzy 08:08 15 Apr 03

All 3 memeory modules have been reseated but....same story. Could it be the motherboard itself which is faulty? since the graphics adaptor seems to be on the motherboard itself. Remember, I have already indicated, as above, that the only separate adaptor card is the sound blaster which is in an ISA slot. And remember also that the power switch which connects directly onto the motherboard is no longer effective.

martx 22:29 27 Apr 11

Disable the graphics chip in the bios. Fit a graphics card. Boot up PC. When you get a picture on monitor do a system restore to when PC was working. take out graphics card. Enable graphics chip in bios. restart PC should boot. My guess corrupt software preventing pc from booting up.

Woolwell 23:38 27 Apr 11

martx

Why have you resurrected an 8 year old thread?

lotvic 01:11 28 Apr 11

swear, swear I read the whole darn thing and was going to suggest it was time to get a new pc..... and then I read Woolwell's post..... swear, swear

It would be a lot easier if the date of thread was back in the index like it used to be, sigh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…