Blank Laptop Screen

gecko1001 16:10 30 Jan 06

My daughter was using my Laptop this afternnon and she said the screen went blank, so I told her to turn it off.

Now on bootup, windows XP Pro goes as far as the splash screen then after that the display is blank except for the cursor, which changes shape nearabouts where the log in password goes, so I can type the password in but not see it, I then hear windows boot up, but still have blank screen.

Also I can access the machine from other PC's on my network, so windows is active, but display is blank.

I have tried pressing any key combos on laptop to see if it was jusr displaying swtiching or something, but no joy.

It does by the way start ok, in safe mode, no blank screen!

chub_tor 16:15 30 Jan 06

If the display is OK in safe mode it's probably a driver error or graphics setting. Don't know too much about laptops but is it possible that your daughter has set the screen resolution or refresh to values that your screen can't cope with? I know this is possible with destop/LCD displays.

chub_tor 16:34 30 Jan 06

Should have added that you might try a System Restore to the point before your daughter used the laptop.

gecko1001 19:53 30 Jan 06

I have tried repairing windows, but still have same problem, as I do not run the restore feature on any of my PC's, that option is not possible.

I am just wondering if the on board graphics chip is playing up, this is one of those that uses shared memory, if so would I still be able to get VGA as this also works as well as safe mode.

woodchip 22:26 30 Jan 06

my guess is the FN key plus one of the others that have blue on them

woodchip 22:27 30 Jan 06

try fn and f11 key

gecko1001 08:04 31 Jan 06

Already tried fn and f11 key which turns display on and off, display is there but no images of windows etc, this is really odd, display is normal even in safe mode, so surley it cannot be the onboard graphics chip, its got to be drivers, but reinstalled drivers to no avail.

dms05 08:34 31 Jan 06

Can you plug your laptop into an external monitor and see if that delivers an image?

gecko1001 10:34 31 Jan 06

Gave up, did a new clean install of Windows Xp, I have a feeling the culprit was some learner driver software my daughter isntalled on the laptop as looking in one of its folders, it seemed to have some of its own graphic drivers.

chub_tor 18:45 31 Jan 06

So did the new clean install of Windows XP solve your problem? Is the display working OK now?

jacqueline_1969 18:58 31 Jan 06

Same thing happened with my laptop after I updated the display adapter on microsoft update. I treid everything to get the display abck bt to no avail. I also had to format and it was sorted out. Be careful with sound and display updates. Microsoft windows update also downloaded a sound driver for my sisters comp and she had no sound after.

You think you could trust the updates on microsoft site but you cant.

my homepage click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…