Blank DVDs not recognised

mumto4 15:07 13 May 07

I am getting a message that my blank DVD is not recognised. I have gone to Device Manager and checked that the hardware is working properly( quite an achievement for one so technologically challenged). The driver plays other DVDs with no problem. Should I just asume that I have bought dodgy blanks(Tevion)and if so is there any blank discs you can recommend, or should I be checking for something more complex please?

SANTOS7 15:18 13 May 07

Would much depend on what type of disc your Optical device supports e.g +R -R +RW -RW that sort of thing,
You haven't bought the wrong ones by mistake..

OR it is a fair assumption that your device just does not like the disc's you have bought..

mumto4 15:23 13 May 07

Thanks for your response. I have bought DVD&RW,4.7 Gigabytes. 4x MAXIMUM SPEED.
How do I find out what type of disc my optical device supports please, after all you are dealing with a beginner :)

SANTOS7 19:40 13 May 07

Have a look in "device manager" (To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager).

You will see a list of conponents click on DVD/CD rom drives it will tell you there what the make of drive is, when we know what make the drive is we can find out what media it supports..

Kooji 19:45 13 May 07

I have had a similar issue with blank DVD discs. It could be just as SANTOS7 has described, your optical device just won't recognise a Tevion disc. A good tip (which works for me) is try another brand of disc. It pays to try a variety of brands and then stock up on the brand which suits your machine.

mumto4 20:35 13 May 07

Thanks very much SANTOS7 and Kooji. I have done as you suggest and this is what came up under DVD/CD
SCSI DVD-ROM SCSI CdROM Device
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD RI312

Totally-braindead 20:49 13 May 07

You do definatly have a DVD writer I suppose and not just either a DVD ROM which only reads DVDs or a DVD ROM CD writer which reads DVD but will only write CDs not DVDs.
When I look under device manager mine says Sony DVD ROM and LITEON DVD WRITER.

SANTOS7 21:03 13 May 07

Totally-braindead has touched what could obviously be the problem, from the descriptions in your post it is telling us you only have READ devices and not WRITE devices...

Totally-braindead 21:07 13 May 07

I also notice they are RW disks. Now I never use RW as I find they aren't very dependable but do they have to be formatted before use?

Perhaps someone can answer that, I can't as I don't use them.

mumto4 21:08 13 May 07

Ah, well that could possibly be the problem then :) Apologies for being such a pain in the posterior.
Thanks for all your advice, I am learning all the time. Anyway round this apart from buying the necessary, and if so what, or what to buy?

SANTOS7 21:16 13 May 07

Certainly not a pain mumto4, we are glad to help

click here

this is the sort of thing ya need girl..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac