Blank DVD read/write speeds...

wotbus@ 17:19 03 Feb 05

Does it ever get easy? Off to the shop to buy some blank DVD discs, confident in the knowledge I need DVD-, not +, only to be greeted with a plethora choice for different speeds no less! OK, read the labels. On the back of each goes something like "Caution. You could nadger your drives/writers if they don't conform to...blah blah" Hey ho, ask in the shop and the assistants face is as blank as the disc. So I buy 3 x DVD-RW 1-2X Speed and 3 DVD-R 4X Speed - with a view to checking drive read/write speeds at home and returning the goods unopened if necessary. The DVD player [lounge] states in its spec " 2,8,16,32 x speeds", so thats OK - I can use the new 1-2x [assuming 1-2x means anything between and including 1 and 2]. But on the back of the 4X it states ".......blah..conforms to 1 - 4x speeds". Hummm, as 2x falls in between 1 - 4x is that OK too? Perhaps it's like this to slow down piracy but we have just landed a probe on Titan and it worked! - makes you wonder. Help...and I havent even looked at the specs of my PC DVD writer yet.
Finally, assuming comapibility between drives and discs - is the increase in speeds merely work getting done faster or better end result quality?

wotbus@ 17:25 03 Feb 05

My PC DVD R/RW is a Sony DV-U10A which states "DVD-RW: 4x/2x" so that looks OK, doesnt it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 03 Feb 05

4x / 2x means 4x read speed and 2x write speed

your 2,8,16,32 DVD player of course only reads but will read all discs regardless of speed upto 32.

playback is done from memory so the faster the player can read the disc and get the data in memory the better.

writing is done by baurningthe data to the disc the faster the disc can spin tand accept data the shorter the time taken to burn the disc.

For the ske of quality most people burn discs at a slower rate than the maxium possible this then produces less chance of error.

wotbus@ 18:18 03 Feb 05

Brilliant Fruit Bat /\0/\, my choice and subsequent purchase of the slower speed discs was only influenced by the price! lucky I guess, but how do people get on without knowing about forums like this?. Thanks very much for the information.

wotbus@ 09:49 04 Feb 05

My thanks again to everyone who responed to my post[s] requesting help and advice, particularly my recent problems with producing a readable DVD disc. I now know and understand a lot more than I did before and yesterday produced exactly what I wanted. Thanks again everyone and especially FE who has to tollerate and temper the odd ramble or two ;-). It's great forum.

TomJerry 10:04 04 Feb 05

4x DVD-R write speed

2x DVD-RW write speed

8x DVD read speed

32x CD read speed

24x CDR write speed

10x CDRW write speed

Are you sure your drive is "DV-U10A", not "DW-U10A"

If it is "DW-U10A", it can write +R+RW discs as well. Both at 2.4x speed.

If you have 4x disc, you can burn full disc 15 minutes, but it requires 30 minutes for x2 disc

wotbus@ 13:19 04 Feb 05

Hi TomJerry. Write or rong, Fruit Bat /\0/\ gave sufficient assistance for me to do the job and to understand a bit more, and I am grateful to you for your update on this "speeds" thing. My drive is indeed "DW-U10A", apologies for the error. Thanks again everyone - one happy M in L this end now ;-)

TomJerry 14:17 04 Feb 05

have a nice weekend

wotbus@ 16:24 04 Feb 05

Thanks for that TomJerry and good w/e to you too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…