//some 3rd party need geo

Blank DVD disks - have I got it wrong

pj123 18:03 11 Apr 04

According to me a 4.7gb blank DVD disk should be able to record 2 hours 55 minutes. (175 minutes).

A week ago I burnt a 60 minute programme to the DVD and now I want to burn the next 60 minute episode. But all I get is "insert a blank DVD disk" Are DVD disks not multisession then? If not, then why did I buy a DVD burner when the CD burner I already had will make VCDs up to an hour long and play perfectly on my DVD player. And much cheaper too.

Sion 18:16 11 Apr 04

If u burn a dvd disc it is not multisession. The disc will be finalised after burning.

As for your question as to why did you buy a dvd burner, i have no answer.

Bapou 19:05 11 Apr 04

I use a DVD-RW for multisesion, was advised when installing the writer DVD-R discs were considered unsuitable for this purpose.

Out of curiosity I ignored this advice and when Nero 6 came to write a multisession I was presented with a warning the disc was unsuitable.

stalion 19:17 11 Apr 04

You have myDVD then you can Edit the DVD when you like it will not be closed.Regards

SEASHANTY 20:29 11 Apr 04

My Panasonic DMR-E60 standalone multiregion DVD player and DVD-R/DVD-RAM recorder will take on multisession recordings of 1, 2, 4, 6 hours or it has the facility of set your own time for the disc to ensure maximum quality recordings. You can finalise the DVD-R disc whenever you like. When finalised it will play on standard DVD players. This is with the standard 4.7GB DVD-R discs. either 2x or
4x.

SEASHANTY 20:37 11 Apr 04

I see that my Panasonic recorder has now been replaced by a new model with the capacity to record
up to 8 hours on a standard 4.7GB DVD-R disc.
click here

HXP 01:13 12 Apr 04

Sony DRU-18 enable me to write to disk but not close - using it like a giant floppy drive in effect, so I can add files at will on DVD -R and DVD+r. Not sure if that is because of DVD make or software Pinnacle Instant DVD V8.
I upgraded from a CDR and I must admit some disks are 'quirky' Memorex won't work but cheaper Datwrites are fine. Maybe worth trying different media ?

The Sack 01:35 12 Apr 04

A blank single layer DVD at the "normal" variable bitrate is 2 hours. I have managed to get 4 hours looking ok with some lengthy encoding

pj123 13:32 12 Apr 04

Thanks for the info. The DVD disks I am using are "Infiniti" yellow -R. All the reviews I read about these DVDs were pretty good. My DVD burner is the LG 4081 takes -/+r rw and ram. I am trying to copy all my "very" old Beta tapes to DVD. So looks like I have to do the whole tape in one go then edit out all the bits I don't want (like ads etc.) and then burn to DVD. Thanks again everyone, will give it go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…