blank cd-r registers as cd-rw when try to record

notrom 12:18 01 Apr 06

I recently bought some Tevion blank CD-Rs. The first one I used was ok. But the rest, if I try to burn an audio CD I get a message saying the CD-R is a CD-RW. If I try to burn a data CD I get the same message, as if I were trying to record an audio CD. Before I take long walk to Aldi and have a row, is there any way this could be down to my software (Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4)? I have Windows ME

notrom 12:33 01 Apr 06

Should have added that if I ignore the warnings (that CD-RW CDs may not be played on home or car stereos) and try to make a data disk, the session is aborted and I get message saying th disk is write protected.

dms05 16:55 01 Apr 06

I have a 50 tub of DVD+R by Ricoh. The first 20 worked OK. Then 2 reported they were DVD+RW and did exactly the same as you've seen. The next 10 were OK. Still 10 to go.

I've had similar results from other makes. I think CD/DVD blanks do produce some errors. In the past I've tried the 'faulty' blanks in other CD/DVD burners and they've worked OK. It seems to be a matter of compatibility.

Not sure it's the retailers fault either!

Ray5776 17:39 01 Apr 06

You won`t have a row at Aldi just a refund, no questions asked if it`s like my local one. I have found them very good.

bloo meeny 22:18 01 Apr 06

Agree it's most likely a disk/recorder compatibiltiy issue.

I've burned around 80 Tevion CD-R's (audio and data) without a problem.

notrom 15:10 05 Apr 06

Apologies to you all for not responding - I didn't think anyone was going to answer! bloo meeny - have used many Tevion disks in past with no problem + the first of the pack worked. Ray5776 - I did manage to have a row with Aldi - the checkout guy insisted on counting the remaining disks I returned so he could open a replacement pack and remove a similar number!!!! Despite me telling him I'd only used one, he persisted, losing count once, only to eventually admit there were, indeed, 49 disks remaining. All this with a queue behind me stretching half way down the store.

More relevantly am having exactly the same problem with the new pack.

Ray5776 16:04 05 Apr 06

Sorry you had a row at Aldi I can only speak from personal experience, I took back a faulty TV after 10 months, they did not even open the box just gave me a full refund in cash, looks like you got the other extreme, sods law :-)

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…