Blank C Drive - Installing XP

Oz.100 08:30 29 May 06

Can anyone help. Have an old laptop which has a blank C: drive (been formatted), has to be started with a boot disk. Previously had Windows 98 but now want to install XP that I got with my desktop. Laptop only has a floppy drive so I have had to copy the contents of the XP cd onto floppy disks. Can this be done & if so how ? I am a real novice. would appreciate any help available.

Thank you

Taff™ 08:39 29 May 06

I suggest you don`t even try! The number of floppys would be huge and I don`t think it can be done anyway. A floppy disc stores 1.4 Mb of data and you`re looking at the CD Rom holding up to 500 times that.

You cannot load XP onto two machines legally anyway so if you`ve activated XP on your desktop it won`t work on your Laptop.

Thirdly, If the old laptop was Windows 98 as opposed to 98SE I doubt if it will even be capable of running XP. Look at the minimum requirements for XP in terms of disk space, RAM and processor speed - will your laptop be up to that spec?

Sorry to put a dampener on this but if I were you I`d simply reload the Windows 98 version.

Taff™ 08:42 29 May 06

click here for the minimum requirements. Also note that you would need all the XP drivers (If they are available) for your laptop.

spuds 10:04 29 May 06

I wouldn't even think about using floppy's for installing XP. It could turn out a mammoth task, something that you wished you had not started.Then as Taff suggests, there are other things to consider, especially if the laptop is very old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video