Blackice Firewall

bpzoom 16:50 12 May 03

WINXP AOL9 Broadband 256mb ram 700mhz CPU
12 months ago there were a few threads on Blackice firewall, and not many were complimentary. I should have read them before I installed Blackice firewall 3.6 on the above system. Does anyone out there successfully use Blackice Firewall please? I am not the brightest of PC bods and do not generally do well with user unfriendly software which this seems to be. Loads of problems, all solved when I uninstalled it today. When it was running, I ran out of memory, dozens of pop ups for false alarms prevented meaningful work getting done. Machine slowed down and although AOL 8 broadband may have its own problems I do not think it sat well with BlackIce. Any advice please would be welcome. (Bought it on 1st May and might ask for my money back)

JoeC 16:57 12 May 03

with no problems whatsoever but it did not get through the firewall leak test at

click here

so I ditched it in favour of Norton Personal Firewall. NPF passes the leak test easily. The site above is not very " supportive " of BID !! The site is worth a look though. : }

Try zone alarm. You can download a free version and if your happy with it upgrade to the pro version. I have used this for a couple of years now with no problems (1 year on XP-PRO). If you are not that computer literate you can always opt for the built in XP firewall as other software acn be tricky to configure if your not sure what you are doing..........

bpzoom 17:39 12 May 03

Thanks JoeC and Nick, I think I would be better off with a simpler firewall. The reason I avoided the XP firewall was because an AOL techie said it was not compatible with AOL7 (at the time and presumably AOL8 now). Do you reckon he was talking through his hat then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…