Blacked out buttons on toolbar

TheGnome 14:21 10 Feb 07

I have recently had a problem with my PC (Windows protection error - Restart your PC- system halted) which occurred after I had installed Serif MoviePlus5 and updated Windows Media Player at the same time (so I'm not sure which one caused the problem). I managed to get my machine back to what appears to be almost normal, but if I click on, for example, the drive C icon, I notice that all the buttons on the toolbar are black, but they do return to normal when the cursor is placed on them, reverting to black when the cursor is moved on. Clicking on them still works OK, so it's no big deal, but I do wonder if it is indicative of something else being wrong.
Any ideas, please?

rawprawn 15:21 10 Feb 07

Right Click on the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/In the Windows and Buttons drop down menu choose Media Center Style.
I think that should cure the problem

TheGnome 16:10 10 Feb 07

Thanks, Rawprawn, but I don't seem to have that on my PC. I have Windows ME which doesn't have the Windows and Buttons drop down menu you describe. I have tried right clicking on the toolbar which has a customise toolbars dialogue, but the icons are all in black and cannot be changed

rawprawn 16:34 10 Feb 07

See if either of these links will help
click here

click here

TheGnome 20:09 11 Feb 07

Thanks Rawprawn, but the links didn't really help. However, I have fiddled about, restoring etc and though I have no idea why, things are backed to normal!
Ah! the mysteries of computing! I can mark this query as resolved, at least for the time being!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…