Black Start Screen

shellship 17:36 PM 09 Jul 11

A friend (Win XP)cannot start correctly. He gets a blck screen with the usual options - start in safe mode, last configuration etc but which ever one he choose the same screen returns. His son who is an expert does not return to this country for a couple of days and I was asked if I could help. Well I cannot. If it will not load with any of the four options what can be the problem, please?

Crosstrainer2 17:44 PM 09 Jul 11

If he has the installation DVD you could try a repair install.

Follow the instructions EXACTLY and you will not lose data.

lotvic 17:45 PM 09 Jul 11

As there could be 101 reasons for the Black screen (hardware or software) I would tell him to wait for his son - it's only a couple of days and it will probably take you more than a week to sort it out, even if you can and you may lose all of his data.

Also the son will probably end up having to sort it out or check it over and if he is an expert he will most likely not appreciate your efforts as you attempt to explain to him 'what you have done so far'....

shellship 18:00 PM 09 Jul 11

Thanks lotvic. Wise advice as usual.

Crosstrainer2 18:03 PM 09 Jul 11

Probably true, but the repair install is reliable IF you are confident. If not, then as per Lotvic!

shellship 18:13 PM 09 Jul 11

Wanted to mark this as solved but don't know how to do it with the new layout.

Crosstrainer2 18:31 PM 09 Jul 11

Tick one of your posts with the big arrow. At least it was working that way last week :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know