black squres on desktop icons

cozowl 08:44 02 Feb 10

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell laptop. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the desktop icons had been replaced by black squares. Increasing the size shows the program icon in the background but the black square remains. I've tried updating the drivers, run virus and malware scans but noting seems to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cozowl

Technotiger 09:52 02 Feb 10

Have you tried a System Restore back to before the problem started?

Also if that does not work, can you post a screenshot?

rdave13 10:08 02 Feb 10

Try rebuilding the icon cache; click here

birdface 10:33 02 Feb 10

Fixes corrupt desktop icons.

Scroll down to near the bottom.
I must point out that i have never used this program before so cannot comment on how good or bad it is.So maybe wait and see if anything else is recommended that will fix it first and only use as a last resort.

click here

cozowl 11:15 02 Feb 10

thanks rdavel13
rebuilding the icon cache worked a treat!

Cozowl

Technotiger 11:25 02 Feb 10

rdave13 ... now why didn't I think of that :-)

cozowl ... Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

cozowl 21:41 05 Feb 10

back again.
despite rebuilding the icon cache, the black squares come back again when I next boot up. I have to got through the whole procedure again!! Any more suggestions?

Technotiger 22:00 05 Feb 10

Can you post a screenshot?

rdave13 00:38 06 Feb 10

More info (possibly corrupt profile); click here

rdave13 09:18 06 Feb 10

Another thing to try is to right click an icon, select properties,' change icon' tab, and in the window that opens it should show the default icon on a blue background. Select, ok, and apply tab. Click continue to give permission. Try with a couple of icons then reboot to see if the icons show properly. If they don't corrupt after a reboot do the same with all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…