black screen with white cursor when booting xp

polishdrumsticks 21:25 18 Nov 09

hi,
i need some help.
i have a dell dimension 8300. when i boot up my PC i get a black screen with the mouse cursor on. I can move the cursor but nothing else comes up. this happens after the windows xp loading screen.
before this started happening i was getting a message every time i booted up saying system battery voltage low. then this problem started.
i have replaced the cmos battery and resetted my bios settings, but to no avail.
i have tried changing the order the drives boot up in, and putting the cd drive to boot first, so i can use my xp cd to do a repair install, but this didnt work either, i still just get the black screen.
Help!!

woodchip 22:21 18 Nov 09

try tapping F5 as computer is starting this should get you into Safe Mode then Do a System Restore to old Date

polishdrumsticks 16:50 19 Nov 09

thanks but i've already tried that. booting windows in safe mode doesnt work either. i still get a black screen, with safe mode written in white text in all 4 corners of the screen!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 19 Nov 09

get a black screen, with safe mode written in white text in all 4 corners of the screen!

wait and it will fully boot into windows safe mode, then do a system restore pick a restore point dated before the problem started

woodchip 23:04 19 Nov 09

Well somethings working as you would not get that far otherwise

woodchip 23:05 19 Nov 09

Black Screen may be the Graphics as gone. as in Safe Mode you still get some colour

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…