Black Screen on cold boot

When I boot my PC from cold it frequently does not appear to "connect" to the monitor.

I can hear the PC boot but the screen remains blank & does not register that the PC has been switched on.

When I start it again it then eppears to "catch"?? the monitor & all then works perfectly.

Any ideas appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 14 Apr 06

Check graphics card is fully pushed home in its slot.

In fact best to remove and refit it to ensure good connection.

Tried that but problem still there :(

Just tried installing omega drivers to see if that'll make any difference - doubt it as I think this is happening before any drivers loaded.

Kalb 10:42 15 Apr 06

Just logged on & found your thread
Had the same problem & it turned out to be the memory modules; release and re-seat all memory modules & bingo

I'll give that a go tomorrow - Cheers Kalb

Though we had cracked it but still happening intermittantly.

Is a problem like this most likely to be software related or hardware?

woodchip 13:20 18 Apr 06

I think the PSU is down on power, or is getting weak

Smiler 13:27 18 Apr 06

Most likely a hardware problem as the monitor is activated before the bios loads.
Did the memory reseat make a difference if so it could be either still seating badly or the memory is faulty. Might be worth trying memtest click here

Cheers for quick replies

The PSU is a relitavely new Hyper 580W unit so dont think that is the problem (I hope!)

I'll run the memory checker now.

Memory passed test with flying colours!

The newest "bit" in my system is the video card (X800XT) - could this be the culprit or would an error be thrown up during the startup? - It performs flawlessly otherwise.

woodchip 15:45 18 Apr 06

For faulty Ram or Graphics you get more than one beep from the system speaker

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…