Black screen on boot up

JoeC 10:54 17 Sep 10

HP Compaq Presario F500 laptop with Vista Home Premium and 1 GB memory.

Switching machine on just gives black screen. I don't hear any sound from hard drive but hear sound from DVD tray as if machine looking for disc. Machine constantly restarts.

Hard drive light doesn't come on. No lights for CapsLock or NumLock either.

Have tried suggestions on HP site (hard reset etc.)Have removed and reseated hard drive and memory.

Tried booting with XP and Vista disc in tray and can hear this drive working but still black screen.

Anything else I can try or is machine finished?

Any help would be appreciated.

mgmcc 11:16 17 Sep 10

Have you tried leaving Laptop with mains adapter and battery disconnected (so that it has no power) for a couple of hours? This will allow any residual charge to dissipate from all components. Then power up again and try booting.

JoeC 11:55 17 Sep 10

but will do that right now. I had thought of 2 scenarios - hard drive or screen dead. Will post later with result.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 17 Sep 10

Tried plugging in an external monitor ? use the FN F? keys to swap to external display to see if you are getting anything on the screen.

woodchip 13:51 17 Sep 10

Think this may be not good news as they tend to have graphics problems, this means a new motherboard

Check this out if the Laptop is less than twelve months old click here

JoeC 15:04 17 Sep 10

No luck with your suggestion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Still looking around for another monitor.

woodchip More than 1 year old. I did look at HP website and saw something about updated BIOS before I( started trying to sort things out.

I think within myself that the machine is kaput but just thought I would ask and see if anyone had a good suggestion to try. I have tried stuff like Spotmau and BartPE but they do not boot the machine either. I will hunt around for another monitor though, just so I can rule that side of things out. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

woodchip 15:26 17 Sep 10

Have you check the Number on the bottom of the Laptop with the ones it shows on the site, as you may get it fixed for nothing if it matches the criteria

woodchip 15:28 17 Sep 10

You should read the HP page fully before doing anything.

JoeC 15:33 17 Sep 10

As far as getting it fixed for nothing is concerned, I checked that out before coming onto PC Advisor site but thanks for the pointer anyway. I checked through the HP site with regard to FAQ's and fault finding with this machine and that is where I found out about "hard reset" and suchlike. I will have another browse to see what (if anything) I missed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\
I have just finished trying the machine with an external monitor connected but even that has drawn a blank - literally.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 17 Sep 10

you will need to press a combination of keys usually Fn + one of the F keys to switch displays.

Was hoping it was something simple like left switch to external display, mine does this sometimes and comes on blank but is otherwise OK.

JoeC 16:03 17 Sep 10

I connected up the monitor and pressed the Fn and F4 keys as per the manual. No luck, blank screen again. Methinks the machine has a major problem. If left to its own devices it seems to reboot continuously, and constantly checking the dvd drive. If I leave the dvd drive out, I don't get the clicking sound (two clicks). The hard drive light doesn't show for long (a millisecond) and both CapsLock and NumLock lights are out. Perhaps I should stick it in my clay launcher and give it both barrels.

I'll leave the thread open for a little longer but I am not convinced the machine can be salvaged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017