black screen

e-t 13:30 12 Jan 03
  e-t 13:30 12 Jan 03

can anybody help please i have fitted a pci usb card to my ageing machine p166 now i get a black screen at start up if i press reset it boot as normal

Lú-tzé 15:38 12 Jan 03

Possibly it is drawing too much power from your PSU.

This is only a guess, but will get you back up the list to more credible suggestions...

e-t 18:20 13 Jan 03

would changing the psu do any good

PA28 18:42 13 Jan 03

Does the machine boot normally if you remove the card? Does your BIOS support USB? (and your OS - Win98SE onwards should be OK, prior to that it's a bit of a no no). Did you install your PCI to USB card in the slot that your graphics card resided in. Questions, questions. You could try moving your cards around to see if that improves matters. Or you could try replacing your machine......

e-t 06:31 14 Jan 03

when i take the usb card out the machine boots normal. yes the bios supports usb. os is win 98 se. no it was a vacant slot. i have tried it in a different slot same thing happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…