Black Screen

arnie30 07:57 02 Jan 10

Hi can anyone help?
I have a toshiba laptop running vista 32bit and for some unknown reason over the past few weeks it crashes in that the screen goes black and none of the keys work at all. In fact the only way to correct this is to restart which is very annoying as usually I am in the middle of something like surfing the web or a word document or such like. Can anyone tell me if there are certain software programs which can cause this, I have checked all the ones I have had installed but can not come up with anything.
Also something entirely different, I have advanced system care installed along with spyware blaster and also a couple of anti spyware programs, do i really need all of these or are they just to much as after scanning with then I never seem to have any infections anyway.
Any help would be great
Thanks

Technotiger 09:15 02 Jan 10

This could be part of your problem, you should NEVER have more the one Anti-virus program ever! Get rid of one of them asap!

Technotiger 09:17 02 Jan 10

Sorry, immediately I posted, I realised you said Anti spyware not anti virus - ignore my first response!

Technotiger 09:20 02 Jan 10

and Yes, you should keep your anti-everything programs, the fact that you never have any infections is because they are doing their job!

howard64 10:00 02 Jan 10

the black screen of death is a known problem with windows and is often caused by a corruption in the windows program itself. Normally this black screen comes up immediately on boot into windows and you can do nothing other than reboot. I am not sure if sfc /scannow works with vista but that is what I would run if this happened in xp. This checks all windows files against the originals.

Les28 10:19 02 Jan 10

There's a difference between continuous backgound scanning anti malware programs and occasional on demand scans with such programs, I think that's something you may consider, maybe a process of elimination if you have continuous background scanners running, doesn't Vista already have Windows Defender running by default?

Black screen of death crash wise, you could have a look in Windows Event Viewer, Application and System tabs to see if anything is recorded about the time of the crashes.

click here

Graphics wise, are you running aero glass and sidebar ?

What is cpu usage when the pc is idle on Task Managers Performance tab bottom of tab page, to open Task Manager single right click a blank area of the taskbar along the bottom of your monitor screen and left click to select Task Manager.

To check out auto running programs that are loaded at startup you could have a look in msconfig startup tab at ticked items

click here

and check them out at Task List here

click here

or Startup Information, Full List here

click here

also while in msconfig have a look at the Services Tab, put a tick to hide all microsoft services, make a note and Google around for the non ms services that are shown as running to see if they need to be running automatically at startup, or could perhaps be set to manual start when needed.

Everything showing OK in Device Manager ?

click here

arnie30 10:28 03 Jan 10

Thanks all I will try the process of elimination and also check in task manager with regards to anything running when it should not be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…