550W OCZ Fatal1ty Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD
BX80605I5750 - Intel Core i5 750, S 1156, Lynnfield, Quad Core
Xigmatek Midgard
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Quiet Intel CPU Cooler
Mionix Saiph 3200 gaming mouse
Saitek Eclipse 111 keyboard

I have a problem after installing the driver for the graphics card and rebooting I can only see this on my monitor.
Black screen with mouse pointer, which is movable.Along the bottom is an ease of access button, then windows 7 home premium and then a shutdown options button which suggests that the monitor is in standby mode. There seems to be a fix,click here which I have downloaded but have no idea how to get it from my flash drive to my PC.It will not go into safe mode either.
Am at a bit of a loss.

retep888 11:33 02 Dec 09

Boot from your Win7 disk and go back to before you installed the gx card driver using system restore.

What driver did you install,the one on the driver CD with the card or the one from ATI website?

I recently built a similar i5 system with xfx4890 but on an Asus board with Kingston Ram, also a black screen to start with,resolved by switching the Ram slots.

Otherwise no other issues.

gengiscant 11:44 02 Dec 09

The drivers were downloaded and installed yesterday evening,unfortunately it is not necessary to reboot the PC after driver install so didn't see the black screen till I booted this morning.

So are you suggesting using the original disc or the ATI divers?

retep888 11:57 02 Dec 09

My problem is more Ram related rather than gx card.

The dirver on the CD is the same with the catalyst one ,I downloaded the 9.11 version from ATI for win7 64bit and installed with no problem.

What version did you use?

retep888 12:03 02 Dec 09

<<unfortunately it is not necessary to reboot the PC after driver install so didn't see the black screen till I booted this morning.>>

Looks like it was not installed correctly,just restore it and reinstall the same driver again,I'm sure you'll be ok.

Audio~~Chip 12:20 02 Dec 09

is it. Apparently a bad windows update file is causing a black screen of death click here

gengiscant 12:37 02 Dec 09

No,it was working fine yesterday evening.This is a driver problem,I hope. I'll try a restore,failing that a reinstall I think.

gengiscant 17:09 02 Dec 09

Sorted.
Discovered that windows 7 comes with the drivers for the HD 4890 graphics card, so after reinstall,all is well, until of course the next problem.
Thanks all.
G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…