Black screen

Miros 04:14 16 Feb 08

My PC blacked out on me earlier tonght, sounds like the hard drive is going like the clapers, but monitor says there is no signal.

Have got Acronis XP start up disks but they have no effect.

Tried holding F8 for safe mode, same nothing except racing HD I think?

Any ideas anyone please. Using old slow windows 98 at moment very slow.

johndrew 10:00 16 Feb 08

You should get the BIOS splash screens on power up even if the HDD is dead. Without these I tend to question if it`s the monitor, power supply or your graphics card.

You could ensure you have power to the monitor or better still try it on another known PC. You could also re-seat your graphics card and ensure any extra power leads to it are connected correctly.

If it`s none of these, you may be looking at your motherboard or PSU.

Miros 11:54 16 Feb 08

Thanks for that, I have an old W98 running alongside so I'll try swapping a few things around.

At moment it won't boot with anything. The monitor can't be dead as the message comes up it is receiving no signal or at least it's getting power. So it,and the PC have both got power, it the PC has flashing lights plus hetic whiring of what I think is the hard drive.

I'll go ahead though and try it with this
monitor.

Miros 13:41 16 Feb 08

It's not the monitor, tried this one, and as before get message, no signal.
Tried to boot again with Acronis floppy start up, and a XP floppy start up disc, still no joy.

Miros 20:34 16 Feb 08

^

rdave13 20:39 16 Feb 08

Possibly GPU dead and Hdd looking for it.

Miros 20:48 16 Feb 08

Thanks Dave, my problem is that the manual on that machine is very limited, as is my knowledge within the machine, though not afraid to go in there if I know what I'm looking for.

And this old yoke is usless and so slow when looking for info on the net. Can you offer any further hepl please?

Miros 20:52 16 Feb 08

Are we looking for something like this?click here

Miros 20:56 16 Feb 08

That looks like a job for a technition to me? Don't look like unplug and renew to me!

Miros 21:27 16 Feb 08

My PC is an AcerPower F1 desktop, any one with info on how can find out which Graphic card I need fpr a preplacement?

rdave13 21:28 16 Feb 08

Download and run PC wizard 2008; click here . Will give info what motherboard will support in GPU cards, ie PCI, AGP or PCI-E (express).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…