Black line on back of paper Canon iP 4500

johnincrete 09:14 24 May 14

A black line appears on the back of the paper. It is approx 3mm wide and is pale at the leading edge getting progressively darker until solid black at the trailing edge. It is approc 6.5cm from the right hand edge of the paper. I have executed back plate cleaning many times. There was a slight improvement on tries 2 & 3 but back to original by try 4.

The printer gets lots of use with a high percentage of duplex printing and a high percentage of print jobs of over 15 copies.

Has anyone any idea what I could do?

alanrwood 09:49 24 May 14

Based on the fact that it clears somewhat and then gets worse again it sounds like the ink cartridge is leaking and has contaminated part of the paper path. Only a good clean out and replacement of the ink cartridge will probably work. Have you spilled any ink inside the printer or had a big paper jam recently.

johnincrete 08:27 26 May 14

Alanrwood: cartridges OK & no recent paper jam.

Spoke to proprietor of local Cartridge World and he said it was a full waste ink pad. He has it now & I will post the result.

alanrwood 09:38 26 May 14

Hi

As you said that the line was 6.5 cms from the right and that the waste ink pad is usually placed outside the paper path I did not consider this aspect. I suppose that the actual head had somehow become contaminated with the waste ink whilst wet. The waste ink would usually dry out and not cause this problem so not sure how it got like this. I still have my doubts but can't substantiate it with anything positive so here's hoping it gets sorted and that my doubts are not substantiated. To be honest I used Cartridge World for several years before getting a colour laser printer and always found them to be excellent.

alanrwood 09:42 26 May 14

If the paper will not feed then if possible try cleaning the rubber rollers that grip the paper where it enters the paper path.

SparkyJack 09:50 26 May 14

Waste collector overflows is the most likely cause

To/resolve it usually means dismantling the machine to retrieve the pad-though some make/models may have access in the base or back of the machine.

Having extracted the pad wash and dry or replace with a wad of similar material.

There is a web forum on printer service/repair,its title escapes me as it is many a year since I messed with inkjets.

I am sure Mr Google will know where to look.

SparkyJack 09:55 26 May 14

Dusted of my vanishing synapses

Fixyourownprinter.com

Is a place to look.

johnincrete 15:56 28 May 14

Thanks all Cartridge World failed to correct the problem. Will try someone else

SparkyJack 16:53 28 May 14

You will be hardoushed to find a -proffessional' shop to this work.

Apart from being potentially very messy work the shop's 'labour rate' is likely to exceed the price of a new machine.

Its strickly a DIY job for you or a friend.

Did you look at fixyourownprinter site?

Or take a look at ijtdirect.co.UK good inks but better still FREE printers. My Dell colour laser is very good.

john bunyan 18:46 28 May 14

Have a look here

You Tube

BT 08:25 29 May 14

Not the same printer but my Epson has a foam strip underneath the paper path directly below the printer head track which absorbs any 'overspray' particularly when doing borderless prints. This gets a bit soggy in time and what I do is fold a sheet of kitchen paper into a long narrow strip and press it against the foam strip to absorb any excess ink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…