Black cartridge fault.

rnsa 15:32 14 Sep 09

I have an HP-F 380 all in one printer. The black cartridge suddenly stopped printing a web page. Aware that both cartridges were low on ink I replaced them both,but although the colour cartridge is working normally the black one is not. Strangely to me I can print a copy of an e-mail,although little feint,but I cannot print a web page.
I would much appreciate any advice or help.
David Nichols

bremner 18:49 14 Sep 09

Please don't be insulted but we need to cover the obvious.

You did remove the plastic strip covering the print head on the black cartridge didn't you

Pineman100 18:56 14 Sep 09

The email printout was probably achieved by the printer using its colour cartridge - mixing all the colours together to achieve something aproaching black.

If you've checked bremner's point and the plastic tape was definitely removed, the next question is did you buy a new, branded HP cartridge or a refill or 'compatible' cartridge? These can have a fairly high failure rate.

One other point, have you run through the printer's head-cleaning routine?

rnsa 19:25 14 Sep 09

Not sure if this is the correct manner in which to respond to you but I hope so.
Thank you for your interest in my problem and no,I am not in the slighted insulted. In fact I still have the cartridge containers and I checked them. Each box has the tear-off strip within.
But a very valid point to make which is appreciated

rnsa 19:41 14 Sep 09

Thank you too for your effort to help me.
I take your point as to the colour cartridge doing all the work,as it were,and I think you are right.
As to the cartridges themselves. They are in fact compatible cartridges obtained from " Choice Stationery",cartridge types that I have always used. The black cartridge I was replacing was one exactly the same.
I have also been through the printer head cleaning routine.
Thank you again. Any further suggestions would of course be welcome.
rnsa

sconedd 19:49 14 Sep 09

Hi rnsa, there is also a pin to make a hole in the top of the cartridge, after doing that if it is still problem get in touch with Choicestationery they will help I am sure they have always been good to me and I dare say a few members of the forum. Sconedd

Wak 20:10 14 Sep 09

You could also check that the brass contacts at the back of the cartridge are working OK by de-greasing all contacts with a small brush and methylated spirits. Switch printer OFF while cleaning internal contacts and allow to dry well before replacing cartridge.
You could also stand the cartridge on a damp/moist paper tissue to see if it will draw the ink downwards into the paper, or alternatively, stand the cartridge in quarter inch of hot water in a saucer and allow to cool to promote the ink to flow.

rnsa 19:49 15 Sep 09

Please all of you accept my thanks for all your suggestions as to how I might be helped.
I have tried most of them without success,though I didn't seem to have a pinhole in the top of my cartridge.
As the failure to print started with the already installed cartridge and continued with the replacement,I suspect that the fault lies with the printer itself.
Unfortunately I need my printer now rather urgently and so I am going to get a new one,but I am grateful to you all for your interest and obvious desire to help.
Thanks again,
rnsa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…