Bittorrent advice????

raggy 2 11:33 05 Feb 09

my son wants to down load and so far due to the legality of it I have said no. Now yesterday he came home from college and said his tutor has told all the class that bittorrent is not illegal?? which i find hard to believe and even harder to believe she would give out information like this, please can someone clrify what is legal and what isn't. Thanks in advance

Marko797 11:39 05 Feb 09

I'm not sure that Bittorrent itself is illegal, but my understanding is that it is/can be used for illegally downloading pirated software, much the same as UTorrent & Azureus. Someone might correct me however.

tullie 11:44 05 Feb 09

Think your right Marko,the programme itself is not illegal,but the majority of what is downloaded is.I think UTorrent and Azureus are simply torrent clients,there are many.

Miké 12:14 05 Feb 09

Yes there is a lot of illegal material available for download via Bittorrent and similar, however there are legitimate uses such as Linux distribution downloading.

T I M B O 12:23 05 Feb 09

Limewire or torrent sites are not illegal, but how you use them is. When you download you also upload automatically, i think this is where the law changes. If you use such programmes then your computer will never be safe or work properley. This computer i am on never will go to such sites or download such material. Sooner or later the computer will be so slow or stop because of all the spyware, trojans & malware. i think that soon that all ISP's will be monitoring your downloads and stopping such illegal internet activites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…