A bit of a weird one

Red Devil 14:32 14 Sep 05

I've registered a number of domains but have recently received mail about a domain I am supposed to have registered.

A WHOIS search reveals that the domain is registered to me. All of the contact details are spot on for me.

Yet I never registered the domain.

It's the .info version TLD for a .com TLD that I have registered and use for one of my websites.

I've even checked back through my e-mails and bank account records to search for an invoice and payment to the company who claim to have registered this domain for me.

And can find no e-mail nor payment.

So, as you can imagine, I'm a bit flumoxed as to why this domain is registered to me.

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 14 Sep 05

Was it some sort of special offer when you registered the .com?

Red Devil 17:06 14 Sep 05

I don't recall that happening and a quick check has shown that the .info and .com addresses are registered via 2 different companies

ade.h 17:24 14 Sep 05

Hmmm, mysterious.

Two options, I guess:

1) Keep schtum and hope they don't notice. It's always worth having the rights to similar domain names to keep yours unique.

2) Tell them they've made a boo-boo and tell them that you don't want that domain, or if you do, offer to pay for it.

PurplePenny 20:37 14 Sep 05

Have you ever had any dealings at all with the second company?

If this is some kind of scam I can't understand how it works because surely someone, somewhere has paid to get the domain registered.

Red Devil 20:47 14 Sep 05

Don't recall having any dealings with the company and when I visited their website it seemed to be nothing more a search engine front end.

slowhand_1000 13:47 18 Sep 05

I'm sure I saw sometime back that they were registering for free the .info domain when you register .com/.co.uk.

Forum Editor 14:29 18 Sep 05

Surely that will give you a clue?

Red Devil 18:33 18 Sep 05

slowhand - I use active-domain for my domain name registration - a quick look shows that a company called name-services.com has registered the .info site.

Forum Editor - you'll have to enlighten me as to what you mean by where the domain is parked. Not sure what you mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…