bit for a techie

frankie 18:50 09 Jan 05

found this on xp tweaks is it worth doing if alarm,spybot,and spyware blaster,already on pc,
You actually have a 5th, hidden, security zone in your IE6 Internet Options->Security->Zones know as "My Computer". Yep, you can protect yourself from your own system. It's normally kept hidden on purpose because the average user doesn't need to lock down their system THAT tight. But if you're a regular here, you're not that average. One other possible reason (just a guess) is that it might help stop the spread of trojans and bad ActiveX controls.

"Flags"=dword: 0X00000021 (33) ---default

change to

"Flags"=dword: 0X00000001 (1)

Now reboot or logoff and back on. My Computer should now be visible in the IE Security Zones selection.

spikeychris 19:30 09 Jan 05

Microsoft released this information in 2003 click here it’s a tweak for third party apps such as Spybot. There was a big upset with the infamous DSO exploit problems as Spybot was finding that the security setting for "Download unsigned
ActiveX controls" for the (normally) hidden "My Computer" zone in Internet
Explorer is not set to disabled, and this prevented Spybot from
repairing it properly so it is again detected on the next scan.

Do you want to want to use ActiveX locally' that is not marked 'safe for scripting? If so run the hack, otherwise don’t bother.

There is also a reg file that can be used, the formatting will be destroyed but this is what it looks like when saved as .reg

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\5]
"DisplayName"="Internet with Cookies"
"Description"="This zone contains all Web sites you haven't placed in other zones"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…