Bit Rate, Baud Rate

Charence 23:47 18 Apr 05

Hi All, have a quite straightforward question for you all which I've not been able to find an simple answer for.

In my Computing lesson, the teacher wasn't really sure, the text book wasn't sure itself (teacher also wrote the book) and I've been searching on the net without finding a clear answer. ie, one thats simple enough for me to understand :o(

Which one is the total rate (e.g. Data inc. overheads like stop/start, parity bit) and which one is the rate of information (e.g. useful data only, without parity,etc)?

Thank you,

Charence

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:51 18 Apr 05

click here this seems fairly clear, although elementary calculus is de rigueur. ;-))

G

sat481 23:51 18 Apr 05

Bit rate and Baud rate amount to the same thing.. Each one means the amount of bits a second.. So no difference, just different terms for same thing

Take care

Sat

DieSse 01:09 19 Apr 05

Baud and bps are certainly NOT the same thing - and even the link that GANDALF <|:-)> gave is quite wrong about what baud rate is, though it probably answers your question about overheads in transmissions.

Baud rate is a signlalling speed originally used in telegraphs, and a measure of the rate of signal level changes. At higher modem speeds, several bits can be transmitted per signal level change.

Baud is best forgotten for modem telecomms, and bits/sec - bps - used, which is more meaningful in data transmission work.

Do a Google for more wrong definitons than you can shake a stick at - and some correct ones!

DieSse 01:21 19 Apr 05

click here

An old reference (see the modem speeds used as examples!!) - but a good one for explaining the principles of the difference.

DieSse 02:19 19 Apr 05

"Which one is the total rate (e.g. Data inc. overheads like stop/start, parity bit) and which one is the rate of information (e.g. useful data only, without parity,etc)?"

So finally to try and answer your original question

bps is the measure that should be used. Unfortuately, I think that when expressed as a line-speed, or modem speed (as in a "56K modem") it probably means all bits, including data and overheads - and when expressed as a measured data transmission speed, it may be data characters (as that's what these "speed-tests" actually count.)

baud is something entirely different.

Charence 23:53 19 Apr 05

Its somewhat clearer now :o)
Cheers, Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…