A bit of a puzzler? W2K Network

recap 15:27 18 Oct 03

At work we run W2K server with an Internet Server, with Sophos Anti-Virus software.

Last week I had to troubleshoot one client machine twice and then all client machines on a third occassion. The first client had lost it's Internet connection. I first checked the connection by a ping on both servers and another client on the network, everything was OK. I changed the RJ45 cable just in case, still no change. I then went on both servers and ran tests still nothing, the client machine had still lost it's Internet connection. I tried running the Internet connection wizard (just in case) still no connection. I again went to the servers to check all TCP/IP settings and the DNS server. Everything was fine. I went back to the client machine and ran the Internet connection wizard again, this time I got the Internet working on the machine.

On Firday all client machines had lost the connection. I went through the usuall checks on the servers/clients nothing. I thought I would try the resolve on the W2K server I had done on the client machine the day before, it worked, all client machines on the network had Internet connection again.

My question is two fold, why has this happend and how can this happen?

Any thoughts folks?

spikeychris 17:58 18 Oct 03

Hello recap

Happens with me as well, it always seems to be the router. Did you check that?

Don't like this new format, lots of my responses are quite long and to be squeezed into a narrow field is hard on the eyes....

recap 18:06 18 Oct 03

Hi spikeychris, as you know our router is the intY. There are diagnostics on the intY server, one of which tells you if you are connected to the Internet, if you are not then you have the choice to connect. This did happen once over the course of the past week. There is also a PPP log which take a snap shot of your connection over the course of five minutes, all that it said there was basically that we were not connected.

If this happens again in the same location then I will get in touch with intY's tech's and see if they can resolve the problem.

thanks spikeychris for your input.

spikeychris 18:10 18 Oct 03

Ah yeah sorry mate forgot about that :o)

Just checked my BBC mail and the mail you sent me is garbled and the server cant deal with it, would you mind resending to my home account

recap 18:15 18 Oct 03

Strange that (about your email) just the last couple of day's some of my emails have been coming in with no content. (that is to my main account not the one at the above posted location).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…