Bit of a mess !! Need Elp :-)

Mulldoon 17:20 27 Sep 04

Hi...

Ok, I installed a new HDD onto my friends comp, a 40gb Maxtor one.. she already had a little 6gb in there that she wants to keep as a second hd. I installed XP Pro onto the main new HD and she has kept her old C: which was her win 98 on the 6gb. The win XP was then allocated to H: and I assumed put onto the 40gb HD.. ( bare with me !).. A couple of days later after she installed softwares n drivers there was a problem and we couldnt get into the comp without being in safe mode.. couldnt fix the problem after going through help n supports advice so I re:installed XP as a repair.. that didnt work.. so did a whole new instal... and all is well... except that now she has an E: and hardly any disc space left ????...
so everything is moving terrably sloooowly !.. anyway... I remeber when i re installed XP that it asked about a partition and wheather to have FAT or N ??.. I just clicked one of them ( ok so i didnt pay attention ).. i think the N one !...
So.. XP must have be installed twice on there and its partitioned , Yes?.. ( I'm learning slowly lol)
What I want to do know is ..how do I get rid of H: where the first XP was installed ? can you un-partition the HD??... any help would be very much appreciated by this Novice !! :-)

ok I'm not sure exactly what has happened but if I were you i would do the following:

insert the XP disk and install Windows again.

when it asks where to install, delete all the partitions and make a new one occupying all of the 40GB.

Choose the NTFS format for the partition that XP is going to go onto. (FAT32 has a maximum size limit of 32GB).

HTH, Dave

Mulldoon 18:14 27 Sep 04

ok..i'll give that a go later Thanks :-)..

Since I posted we found out that the fist install of XP had gone onto the new 40gb hd.. but when i re-installed it, it went onto the small 6gb !! hence is split itself into 3 partions c: d: e: with 2gb each LOL... the new install was on E: !!..
Ok.. will re install and pay more attention to where it is going and will let you know.. Thanks for the help :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…