Bit confused, Guys - Re. BroadBand

AngeTheHippy 12:15 27 Jul 04

Hi all, wants yr advice on this pls. Just been BroadBanded (...) and am paying for 512. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem. When I connect, the little window opens (similar to dial-up) that tells me what my connection speed is - it says 1.1Mb.

I went to that excellent site ADSLGuide.com where they have a speed test. I've done that test 3 or 4 times, and each time the d/load speed says (approx) 468/480. My concern is, why does the connection window say 1.1Mb - or am I understanding this wrongly?

Ta very much,
AngeTheHippy
x

jonnytub 12:20 27 Jul 04

the software is probably defunct!, ignore and reguarly go to that site if you want to check on your connection speed or you could try click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:15 27 Jul 04

You have probably connected your BB modem to an extension. Don't worry about the speed showing your speeds are fine.

G

AngeTheHippy 13:37 27 Jul 04

HOW did ya know? U been ball gazing (Cristal!) again? Yeah, it is indeed via an extension socket. I won't worry bout it then. That old cliche, 'don't know how I managed without it' - BB that is, certainly is relevant... SO FAST!

johhnytub, I think Gandalf's got it in one.

Cheers chaps,
AngeTheHippy
xx

March Hare 16:39 27 Jul 04

I see you've made it into print in the Sep PCA mag, Ange. Fame at last!

Daveboy 22:42 27 Jul 04

Who is your s/p ? Are you data stream - this is much cheaper to the s/p and they regularly supply 1 or 2 meg circuits to the end user, but "choke" you down to the service you pay for. Tiscali do this for one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…