Biro ink on TFT screen.

b84 01:39 15 Apr 04

Hi
I have a TFT monitor that has a 1cm sq.thin smear of biro ink on the screen.
What's the safest, most effective method of removal.
Thanks Brendan.

Djohn 01:57 15 Apr 04

First thing to try is a cotton bud dipped in undiluted washing-up liquid and gently rub the area that is marked. If this removes it then use a soft cloth dipped in a solution of warm water and soap, well wrung out so that it's just damp and wipe the screen gently across, buff with a clean dry cloth.

None of the above will cause any harm to the screen. But if it doesn't work then you could try with caution and I can not guarantee it will not harm the screen, either of the following.

1)A soap like tablet with the name of "Vanish" This is excellent at removing stains of all kinds but of course I've never heard of it being used on a TFT screen.

2) WD 40 will remove ink from clothing and other surfaces without any damage and is excellent for removing that sticky residue that labels sometimes leave behind, then finish with soapy water solution as above.

The first method as I mention above can be used with confidence. The second two are something you must decide for yourself and are only suggestions on my behalf.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. j.

Gandalph 03:07 15 Apr 04

Isopropyle Alcohol wipes (I think I spelled that right) is the recommended cleaner by HP for TFT screens. Dixon's or some other PC store will have them.

b84 03:28 15 Apr 04

Washing up liquid and wd40 had no effect but a follow on with an aerosol glass cleaner quickly did the trick,no doubt helped by all the previous rubbing.I'd been wary of using any solvents in case I did any damage and it's good to have a clean screen again.Thanks Brendan.

only me 10:34 15 Apr 04

i bought a small 30ML bottle from chemist £4.00 dear but you only use 1 drop on a cotton bud i used it on my monitor when my grandson went mad with felt tip it worked

mdshamilton 11:51 15 Apr 04

Baby wipes take virtually anything off safely...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…