BIOS/Hard drive trouble?

LucasJB 11:47 14 Sep 08

Hello all,

I'll try and be as detailed as possible, so here is the spec of the PC i recently bought. I bought it as components to assemble.

Intel core 2 duo 3.0ghz 1333fsb
Corsair 4096mb RAM
BFG 9800GTX+ OC 512mb gpu
Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780I SLI LGA775
Western Digital 500GB Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache
Tagan PSU BZ Piperock 900W
Samsung CD/DVD drive of sorts (not so important in this issue!)
ThermalTake Blue Orb II - The ordinary CPU fan has been replaced with this lovely beast.

So we installed everything taking plenty of care with the pieces and zero static, and turned it on for the first time. It loaded the bios up, which said that the 4gb of ram was there, the processor was, the graphics card was, the samsung drive was, but no hard drive was there. Read a forum post saying that it may not read it as sometimes will only read IDE, which I didn't think sounded right. Bought Vista for a OS and turned the bios on again in the hope that if i installed it, the HD might be recognised. This time, I had no video output. I am very worried that I've already blown my main components, as I have no idea why I have no video output. The odd thing is I have power through all the components, green light on MB is there, graphics card is on as the fan is working. Found a old HD and replaced it to test if it was the hard drive. We then had video output, but before the bios loaded, the screen froze. Which I think is because it was such a old aweful HD. A friend mentioned flashing the BIOS but I'm worried. If anyone has any idea why I now have no video output, or that the bios will not load up and disk not being reconised I'd apreciate your input.

Kind Regards,

Lucas

I am Spartacus 12:22 14 Sep 08

I'm assuming it's an E8400? If it's the stepping model C0 then you need BIOS 0502 and motherboard revision 102G. It it's the E0 stepping model then you need BIOS 1106 which should work with all revisions of the motherboard.

click here

Were you getting any CPU errors when booting up?

I am Spartacus 12:23 14 Sep 08

I've seen reports in the Asus forums that some motherboards done seem to work correctly with WD hard drives.

LucasJB 20:22 14 Sep 08

Hello, yeah, it is the E8400. No CPU errors when we booted up first time as it went past the asus symbol 'Deluxe Lifestyle' before loading the BIOS where it showed the 4gb ram installed, the graphics card, and recognised the processor. It just didnt recognise a SATA drive being there. Pardon my noobyness but whats the E0 stepping model and CO?

Any possibility its the hard drive preventing anything from loading, as when we installed a really old hard drive which worked, it loaded but froze (probably because its shite!) I'm just wondering if its worth buying a new HD, one which maybe isn't WD?

Anyone else got any ideas why I now have no video output, when the GPU was working correctly before? I'm worried I've fried either the MB, the processor, or the GPU. I'm not so worried if the problem is the HD as it was fairly cheap.

Thanks,

Lucas

LucasJB 20:23 14 Sep 08

Oh, I didn't mention that the HD whenever we turn it back on to try and load the BIOS, makes a high pitched squeek.

I am Spartacus 20:40 14 Sep 08

Stepping codes are for the different revisions of CPUs. The C0 have SLAPL marked on it and the E0 should be marked SLB9J. Even though, in theory, they're the same CPU a BIOS update may be required for the E0.

I would try another hard drive. The other problems could be dislodged cables or perhaps not connecting the graphics card power cable(s).

Also did you use thermal paste on the CPU/Heatsink?

LucasJB 21:22 14 Sep 08

Yes, enough thermal paste was used on the CPU/heatsink, and far as I'm aware, power is running throughout all components, and the only one which defo doesnt sound right is the HD.

mac75 22:49 14 Sep 08

i had to enable sata drives in integrated peripheralsin the bios setup to make my sata drive recognised.

jim.

LucasJB 17:41 15 Sep 08

Ok, I now have video output, reckon the VGA was loose. The error message I get says 'Floppy A Drive failure' or along those lines, which is weird because my HD is defo installed in the right connector.
Thanks Jim, this may be why it wasn't recognised - could you give me any info on which settings it was to enable yours to be recognised. I am now concerned the bios isnt loading because of something to do with the MB or settings changed before last time we got to bios, any ideas? Would wiping the BIOS revert to factory settings on the MB? This might allow me to load the bios up again! Thanks again all.

LucasJB 17:44 15 Sep 08

- Also have tested with a HD of a friends whose defo works, comes up with same 'floppy error' message...

mac75 18:07 15 Sep 08

hi lucasjb.

to reset the bios you have to move the cmos jumper which is usually next to the cmos battery, from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 for a few minutes or remove the battery. make sure the mains power is off before you start.

jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5